Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I Remember...

I remember what it was like being in Air Force Basic Training. We were all scared out of our minds of the instructor and what could happen to us if we screwed up. But, I also remember how good it felt to graduate as a member of the Honor Flight. What an accomplishment! Especially since many of us weren't sure we'd make it through the first week, affectionately known as Hell Week.

I remember what it felt like to be called to duty in Saudi Arabia for the first Gulf War. My family was scared - so was I - but I was more proud of being able to serve my country. As it turned out, we won that war in short order. But even if it had taken longer, I would never have questioned my willingness to serve.

Although, I spent most of Memorial Day working on client files, I periodically stopped to remember those who have gone through the same types of feelings me and those I served with felt so long ago.

Memorial Day is a special occassion. But don't just use that day to remember those who have served and fallen for our nation. Take a few minutes every day. And when you see a soldier, sailor, airmen, or marine, take a moment to walk up and shake their hand and thank them. It would be a fitting tribute for those who have given their lives for the cause of liberty.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home