Sunday, June 25, 2006

Life Is Precious

I watched a mother die on Father's Day. It's true. I wasn't sure I would ever write about this, but I've been thinking about it all week.

As I was returning from a trip to see my kids, heading back home to Fort Worth, TX, I saw a horrible accident involving a SUV and an 18 wheeler. It seems a young mother with her baby in the SUV hit the back of the 18 wheeler with such force that it completely crushed the driver's side of her vehicle. There were already people on the scene when I arrived: an off-duty EMT, an off-duty Border Patrol officer and his wife, and several others. 911 had already been called, but we were on a stretch of interstate I-20 that was in the middle of nowhere. The EMT and the BP officer tried frantically to give CPR to the unconscious mother trapped in the SUV. I went to check on the driver of the 18 wheeler and he was physically fine, but seemed in a little bit of shock over what had happened. The others tried to help by directing traffic while waiting for the police to show up. No one saw anything other than the dark cloud of smoke from the collision.

I went back to the SUV to check on the EMT and BP officer as they continued to provide CPR to the young mother. But it was too late for her, there wasn't anything more they could do.
Ironically, it turns out the off-duty BP officer knew her and didn't realize it until after she died. You see, the young mother used to work as a secretary in the same border patrol office as him. He saw her regularly and knew her husband who also works for that office.

When the police got there and took over, I gave a statement and left. I still hadn't heard any news on the baby, but knew the carseat wasn't strapped in the front seat of the SUV where almost all the damage was.

As I drove away, I started thinking of the terrible Father's Day that young woman's husband would have. It also reminded me of the terrible Father's Day the border patrol officer who knew her was having. And it reminded me of this: life is precious.

If you're going through a challenge right now with family, friends, or a significant other, remember... life is precious. If you're sick, depressed, or lonely, remember... life is precious. If you feel unhappy with yourself, physically or mentally, remember... life is precious. Be thankful for the people you have in your life. Tell your spouse, significant other, children, and parents you love them because you never know if it will be the last time you get to say it. Don't waste any time because life is precious.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home