Tuesday, June 13, 2006

'"Why Do You Dress White?"

When I was 15 years old growing up in San Diego, CA in a racially diverse area, I liked to dress comfortably when "kickin' it" in my neighborhood. So, I often wore blue jeans, a white T-shirt, and my leather jacket.

A Black female friend stopped me when I was walking to 7/11 one day and said, "Hey, Steve. Why do you dress white?" I replied, "I didn't know there was a Black handbook that would tell me how I should dress."

I was reminded of this incident while reading about actor Joseph C. Phillips' new book, He Talk Like a White Boy. I just ordered the book and am looking forward to reading it. Something tells me aspects of the book will seem very familiar. Especially those portions that deal with what it's like to be Black and a Republican.

This article by COgirl was also very timely in reminding me how difficult life can be for Black Republicans and the inherent racism we suffer because we refuse to live on the Liberal/Democrat plantation. It's very well written and contains some apt historical references about Republicans and the 1964 Civil Rights movement. It's definitely worth a read.
|

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home